Monday, January 13, 2014

Fact #1 Whitetail deer cannot see depth

January 13, 2014
written by Bob J. Mercier   ©2014


This photograph of Bob J. Mercier was taken by Scott Anderson 

The photo (above) is of me 'walking like a deer', while remaining invisible to deer. Deer cannot see depth. The can see width and height, but not depth. They can only estimate your body weight by hearing you walk or by viewing your body at different angles, and in the deer world knowing the body mass of every object that moves in the direction of deer, is an important detail, that cannot be overlooked. Deer need to know what is coming, in order to evade it. All whitetail deer walk around each other in order to see the other side. I call it profiling. Standing broadside with their head turned at 90 degrees to their chest. While walking around the chest side of another deer to see how big it is, in body weight.

I am sure you have witnessed this behavior that deer exhibit on a daily basis. Deer behave as if they are always discovering things, as if they are seeking knowledge all the time. That is because their world is ever changing and they have to keep themselves safe from predators by never assuming the land, is the same way they saw it the last time they were in that particular area. Every time a deer travels, it discovers its territory again, and again, and he or she has to take interest in what has changed in order to keep from being killed by a predator, or a risky situation, which includes human beings.

Deer walk around trees, not just past them. That is because they do not know that trees are round. They see them as eight sided objects of varying height. But that is a different topic, and it is one that I am including in my next publication, which I am working on now. If you want to know what I think then buy my book and catch up with the 2200 other people who already own a copy. It is the only way you can ever be on the same page as I am.

Deer do not see the distance between me and the brush behind my body. They only see the pattern of the fabric I wear, and the motion I make when I am moving.
They do not see a man there. They do not see anything but the wind blowing through the brush. It was summer and my camouflage was brown in color, but the vegetation was all different shades of green, and the tree trunks were either gray, black or brown.

Deer cannot distinguish between, green and brown as long as the clothing you wear has tree limbs and leaves on it, and as long as your surroundings (the area in front, back, and on all sides of you) are in fact trees, limbs, and leaves.

What I teach you is what deer see, and how to think like a deer, knowing what they can see and what they cannot. People look at every photograph and try to discover the subject. In this case the human (me). In order to think like a deer, you have to forget you are a human, and you have to know that no deer ever assume you are a human, because humans do not exist in their world. We (humans) only enter it, and leave. We never stay in the woods all day long and all night long without human things as all animals do. Deer do not know what we are until we identify ourselves to them as being something other than a deer, a tree, a limb, or a pile of brush.

Follow this blog to learn from me what deer think, the rules deer live by, and the rules many traditional deer hunters and hikers break most often without ever knowing it. The world of the Whitetail does not include humans, so the best thing any human can do, if they want to see monster bucks, adult bucks, and adult does on a regular basis at distances of less than 35 yards, is learn from me how to become invisible and then practice so you can maintain your invisibility.

Who cares what other humans can see when they look at you or me, in the woods? I am not hunting humans, and they are not hunting me. When I see a human I avoid them just as a deer would, and the deer that hear me (move away from the human like a deer) know in their minds that I am a deer. That is all you need (for deer to think you are a deer), and they will seek you out. If they cannot find you, they send in their king.

All this will happen for everyone if they learn the process I use to walk up to deer in daylight, that gets me 100% results. In my first book I shared these tactics with you.

I hope you enjoyed the lesson.

Bob J. Mercier



The book title is 
copyright 2011 by Bob J. Mercier 

My books are sold exclusively by me 
NOT SOLD IN STORES
Order Online